Friday, June 15, 2007

Hong Kong - Hanoi

So I left Hong Kong last night for Vietnam. Hong Kong was great, although it was overcast and raining the majority of the time, it was a much more beautiful city that either Rob or I expected and can easily see why it is such a popular destination.

After coming overland from China we had our first meal in McDonalds (the cheapest place to eat in Hong Kong). We then headed for the ferry where we coincidently meet up Willard and Vera (a Dutch couple we meet in Everest, and again in Lhasa, and again in Xi'an). With a population or said million people who would have thunk it. But the following day, while waiting to meet Willard and Vera for lunch, we bumped into John.

Eventually we arrived at Rebekka, Andy and Izzy's apartment (my cousin and whanua) which was a much appreciated (and in Robs case needed) step into normality. Bek was a fantastic host (thanks heaps, it really is appreciated) and I proceeded to have a very lazy couple of days (I did wander the streets a bit, but when your not looking to buy it can become a bit dishearting). We went to the races on Wednesday, which was heaps of fun and definitely recommended (apparently the cheapest beer in town) and Dim Sum for lunch before I left (yum).

Today I have biked around Hanoi. At about 10.30am it absolutely monsooned down (at one point the thunder was so loud it actually hurt my eardrums) so I jumped into a cafe just in time for a drink. Once it cleared it was great fun tackling the massive puddles covering the road. I managed to tick off the 10 must-does so tomorrow will be a more relaxing day and I'll head to Sapa (up north) by overnight train tomorrow.

No comments: